Memorial Day weekend is one of summer’s best. I finally get to wear my only pair of white jeans, everyone gets an extra day off of work, and it’s my birthday! Not to mention, there are so many things happening downtown.
Kicking off with a concert at the Bandshell Friday evening, the Boulder Creek Festival will run from May 24 – Monday, May 27, 2013. The festival will have food, live entertainment and a variety of activities for everyone. Stop by the Boulder Creek Festival Beer Tent Saturday – Monday and enjoy a cold beer to support Developing Hands.
Leading up to race day, this weekend the BolderBOULDER will host the SportsEXHIBIT on the Pearl Street Mall. This is a great opportunity to sample products from hundreds of vendors and to learn about running merchandise and technology.
On Memorial Day (Monday), wake up early and support Boulder’s dedicated athletes and head down to the BolderBOULDER race, which begins at 6:55 a.m. For those who cannot make it downtown until later, join athletes and Boulder residents at West End Tavern’s Kegs, Eggs & Sore Legs at 10 a.m. for a $10 recovery breakfast. End the evening with West Flanders Brewing Company’s Pick’n & Brew’n Bluegrass Pick, and grab a free beer when you show off your musical talents.
Even if you’re hosting your own Memorial Day party like me, it’s essential to head downtown to stock up and prepare for the party of the summer. For me, strategic and thorough planning is required when preparing for my birthday, so here’s my shopping list to guide your own planning:
- For our Memorial Day BBQ I will buy the freshest ingredients for lunch and appetizers from the farmers’ market on Saturday. Luckily, it’s also my birthday party, so I get to skip out on the cooking.
- Anything I can’t find at the farmers’ market, I will pick up from Alfalfa’s on my walk home.
- I will swing by Oliverde to pick up some balsamic and olive oil that my roommate uses for her amazing appetizers.
- Hopefully, my guy friends won’t mind picking up a filled keg from Liquor Mart because my roommates and I do not have the upper body strength for that…and it’s my birthday.
- Because it’s now acceptable to wear white (according to my mom), I want an all-white dress for my Memorial Day (birthday) party. So after work, I might have to walk downstairs to Free People and buy an early birthday present for myself.
Make the weekend count and celebrate this Memorial Day (and my birthday) in downtown Boulder. You won’t be disappointed.
-Jillian (intern) (aka birthday girl)