5 Best Ways to Show your Irish Pride this St. Patrick’s Day:
“Lá Fhéile Pádraig Shona Duit!” And, for all of you who don’t “speak Irish”, Happy Saint Patrick’s Day! Alright, if we're going to be brutally honest here, St. Patty’s day is my favorite holiday. My younger years were practically spent being chauffeured from one Irish dancing competition to the next and watching the Chicago river get dyed green every year, so March 17th is a pretty big deal to me. Although I must admit that Boulder is no Chicago, I think this town does a pretty good job putting on their Irish pride. So let me help you by giving you the 5 best ways you can get your leprechaun on and find your pot of gold in Downtown Boulder.
#1: The World’s Shortest St. Patty’s Day Parade at Conor O’Neills.
It’s just about that time of year again when everything magically becomes green and shamrock shaped, which translates to “it’s also time to flock to Conor O’Neills for the next 5-7 days”. (P.S: they just remodeled their patio so don’t forget to check that out.)
- March 11th: The St. Patrick’s Day themed entertainment will start Friday with Irish Step Dancing from the McTeggart Irish Dancers at 7pm.
- March 12th: multiple performances from the Celtic step dancers.
- March 13th: The World’s Shortest St. Patrick’s Day Parade. The parade will go north on 13th Street from Walnut, passing by Conor O’Neill’s. (The event is family friendly so bring the little ones.)
- March 16th: The McTeggart dancers will be performing again at 7 pm.
- THE BIG DAY (March 17th): On St. Patrick’s Day Conor O’Neill’s will open at 8am. They will have multiple performances throughout the day ranging from bagpipers, fiddlers, and Irish step dancers.
#2: Free St. Patrick's Day Party at the Boulder Theater:
Let’s get our green on and join Boulder Beer & Jameson for their “inaugural year of Kegs & Cabbage”. This FREE St. Patrick’s Day Party will be hosted at the Boulder Theater on the 17th from 5:30-11pm. (Music and food will be provided, no worries in that department). A real St. Patty’s Day wouldn't be complete without a shameful amount of alcohol and drink specials which include: $5 Boulder Beers, $5 Jameson & $6 Shake Bombs (Boulder Beer Chocolate Porter & Jameson.)
#3: St. Patty’s Day at West End Tavern
The time has come for another night of debauchery – St. Patrick’s Day is here once again! Celebrate St. Patty’s at The West End Tavern! Festivities will include Irish Dancers at 4pm & a DJ at 8 pm! And how could I forget to mention that there will be drink specials and Irish food all night.
#4: Irish Gear brought to you by….
Now that you have options for your Irish themed night out on the town, the only thing you are missing is your Irish gear. As I was stalking the stores on Pearl for the best outfit choices, two places “caught me Irish eye”: Where the Buffalo Roam and Jackalope & Co.
#5: Food Specials are indeed special
While most people think St. Patrick’s Day is just a drinking festivity (*cough* college students *cough*), its also an opportunity to look closer at our Irish heritage and what better way to appreciate a culture than to eat an ungodly amount of their traditional food.
Irish inspired dishes will be served at:
- Cured - St. Patty’s Day Feast (order in advance)
- (and much more)
Well, there you have it, compliments of Downtown Boulder, your entire St. Patrick’s Day (week) checklist has been created. Hopefully you feel some luck of the Irish this year. Live it up because you are living quite literally in the “greenest” town on earth (pun intended).
Until next time,