The Downtown Boulder Business Improvement District proudly joins the second annual Small Business Saturday initiative in support and celebration of small businesses
[Boulder, CO] – [November 18, 2011] – The Downtown Boulder Business Improvement District today announced its participation in the second annual Small Business Saturday on November 26, 2011. Small Business Saturday is a day for dedicating a portion of holiday shopping to local, independently-owned small businesses. In his first week in office, Mayor Appelbaum showed his support by signing an official proclamation declaring November 26, 2011 Small Business Saturday in Downtown Boulder.
American Express, the founding sponsor of Small Business Saturday, created the national program in 2010 in response to small business owners’ most pressing need: more demand for their products and services. The second event will build on last year’s inaugural program that drove millions of dollars to main street merchants.
Downtown Boulder recognizes the importance of small businesses in the district, the jobs they create and the culture they instill in local communities. Small businesses have generated 64 percent of net new jobs over the past 15 years and employ just over half of all private sector employees, according to the Small Business Administration.
"Because more than 80% of our downtown shops and restaurants are locally owned, it makes perfect sense for us to support Small Business Saturday," said Sean Maher, Executive Director of Downtown Boulder. "This movement is all about celebrating the unique choices that you just cannot find in big box stores. There is no better place to kick off the holidays than downtown Boulder!"
“We are proud to have Downtown Boulder join the Small Business Saturday Coalition,” said Maryann Fitzmaurice, senior vice-president, American Express OPEN. “It is critical that we get as many supporters on board as possible to generate demand for small, independently owned businesses this holiday season and beyond.”
To coincide with Small Business Saturday, several downtown retailers will be offering specials and incentives during a winter sidewalk sale (November 25 – 27). More details can be found online at DowntownBoulderHolidays.com.
Joining the Annual Initiative
Social media will play a central role in helping raise awareness about the importance of supporting small business and recognizing Small Business Saturday. The Small Business Saturday Coalition will be driving consumers and business owners to facebook.com/smallbusinesssaturday where they can participate in many ways, including:
• American Express is also giving $100 of free Facebook advertising1 to 10,000 business owners who sign up at facebook.com/smallbusinesssaturday to help build online buzz and drive customers to their stores on Small Business Saturday. By simply entering a few pieces of information and clicking a button, these business owners can create a personalized, geo-targeted ad that will run on Facebook leading up to November 26.
• American Express is giving a $25 statement credit2 to 200,000 Cardmembers who register their Card and use it to shop on Small Business Saturday at any locally-owned, independent small business that accepts American Express.
• Small business owners can go to Facebook.com/smallbusinesssaturday to download online promotional materials that will help them drive sales to their business on Small Business Saturday.
• Everyone can spread the word about the day and their favorite businesses by giving a shout-out to their favorite local shops and restaurants via Facebook and Twitter.
Contacts: Terri Takata-Smith, Downtown Boulder
Rosa Alfonso, American Express
Matt Hantz, M Booth
About Downtown Boulder
The Downtown Boulder Business Improvement District (BID) is a 49-block neighborhood where property owners tax themselves to make their community cleaner, safer and more vibrant. The tax is used by the BID to purchase services that supplement those provided by the city and provide a comprehensive consumer marketing program.
Working with the city of Boulder and our non profit partner, Downtown Boulder, Incorporated, the Downtown Boulder BID is leading a new spirit of cooperation among property owners, businesses and the community by providing a range of enhanced management programs including maintenance, marketing, economic vitality and physical improvements. These program areas of the Downtown Boulder BID are designed to retain, expand and attract businesses and investment to improve the Downtown environment.
About Small Business Saturday
November 26th marks the second annual Small Business Saturday, a day to support the local businesses that create jobs, boost the economy and preserve neighborhoods around the country. Small Business Saturday (SBS) was created in 2010 by American Express in response to small business owners’ most pressing need: creating more demand for their products and services. 1.5 million Facebook users, 130 public and private organizations, and 41 elected officials declared their support for SBS last year. 100,000 small businesses downloaded SBS marketing materials, 10,000 businesses signed up for free Facebook advertising that ran on SBS and 200,000 consumers registered their American Express cards to receive $25 statement credits when they shopped at a small business on SBS. In the first year, small retailers who accept the American Express Card saw a 28% increase in sales on SBS.
(1) To be eligible to receive $100 worth of Facebook ads, you must register your business at Facebook.com/smallbusinesssaturday. Registration is limited to the first 10,000 merchants. Limit one offer per registrant.
(2) To be eligible for the statement credit, you must register your eligible American Express Card at Facebook.com/smallbusinessaaturday. You may only register one Card for this offer. Using your registered American Express Card, you must spend $25 or more at participating small business merchants on 11/26/2011 to receive the $25 statement credit. Eligible merchants include any independently owned small businesses that accept the American Express Card. Purchases made online, at large, national chains, at franchised business locations and at government agencies are not eligible. Prepaid, corporate cards and ExpressPay transactions are not eligible. If your Card is replaced during the promotional period, please call the customer service number on the back of your Card for assistance. Registration is limited to the first 200,000 enrollees. Limit one statement credit per Cardmember. Statement credits are generally issued within five business days after your qualifying purchase, but may take up to two billing cycles to post to your account. Additional terms apply; see registration website for details.
# # #